Thursday 2 February 2012

End of last year sightings

When I started recording my sightings last year, little did I expect to find such a varied amount of species in my local park.

I've seen 3 x Rose Ringed Parakeets (previously Ring Necked Parakeets) just before Christamas near the ponds I've spotted them down Sandwell Valley and think they may have come from there just stretching their wings for the day.

Sightings for the end of last year are: Mistle, Song Thrushes and Redwings are quite regular in the winter months.  Starlings can be seen in the trees near the Newton Road end along with House Sparrows as you take the path running adjacent to the back gardens over that sideWhen you get half way down and near the woodland walk area as I call it, you may be lucky enough to see a Nuthatch, Goldcrest and TreecreeperMale and female Great Spotted Woodpeckers have been sighted in the woodland walk area.  When you get to the ponds, the sightings I have listed are as follows:
  • Mute Swan
  • Canada Goose
  • Mallard
  • Coot
  • Moorhen
  • Shoveler
  • Grey Heron
  • Cormorant
  • Lesser Black Back Gull
  • Herring Gull
  • Black Headed Gull
  • Wigeon
  • Gadwall
  • Pochard
  • Tufted Duck

Other species you are likely to see are the 3 finches as I refer to them (Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch), Chaffinch x 38 24/12/2011.  Great Tit, Blue Tit and Long Tailed Tits are to be seen anywhere within the park, along with Robins, Wrens, Blackbirds, Dunnocks.


Jackdaws can be seen in the trees at Redhouse itself and of course you are always going to get Magpies, Carrion Crows and Pigeons - Wood and Feral.

Birds of Prey can sometimes be seen over the park to include: Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Peregrine Falcon.

No comments:

Post a Comment